Mighty Pea Safe Sampling
With these considerations in mind, the campaign objectives set by the client were
Create a safe sampling experience for Mighty that is completely Covid compliant and represents the brand positively.
Enable hygienically controlled sip sampling at a range of Sainsburys and Tescos during the product launch into new stores.
Achieve a sample acceptance rate of 20% of shoppers engaged and a sample to immediate purchase conversion of 5%.
ECO-FRIENDLY PRODUCTION & SAFE ACTIVATION STRATEGY
- In line with Mighty Pea’s sustainable brand values, their existing Sampling Cart from 2019 was re-purposed for Safe Sampling.
- New safety measures were added to the cart including Covid safety screens, distancing signage and contactless sanitiser.
- Supermarkets were selected for demographic alignment and where the cart could be safely located outside the entrance area.
- Samplers were tested daily and the team of two lived in a pair bubble, working together for the entire campaign duration.
- Over seven weeks the Mighty Pea sampling team activated Safe Sampling at 20 Tesco and 15 Sainsbury’s stores across the UK.
- The Safe Sampling system was shared with store managers and optimised external set up positioned agreed in advance.
- Long queues of shoppers waiting in line to get into socially distanced stores provide ideal opportunity for quality engagement
- Customers were offered sip samples of Mighty Pea Original and Protein Oat blended on site into a banana smoothie.
- During the very cold weather and snow in February, a hot catering unit was added to enable sampling as vegan hot chocolate.
- The displays of cartons were embellished with appetising serving suggestions, alongside granola, pancakes and fresh berries.
- Over 80% of all shoppers reached had never previously purchased any brand of non-dairy m.lk or tried Mighty Pea before.
- The activation was most popular with customers aged 18 – 35, a core demographic that already shopped in the category.
- Comments from everyone were very positive, both vegan & non-vegans were impressed with the taste, usages and benefits.
SALES DATA INSIGHTS
- Peak sales are normally made on Saturdays, but Lockdown resulted in consistently strong sales across all days of the week.
- Reduced social interaction and stimulation in Lockdown lead to a massive rise in sample acceptance and shopper engagement.
- Price discounting periods did not have any effect on sales, showing that the sampling was the key factor in converting purchase.
IMMEDIATELY MEASURABLE SALES RESULTS
- A massive 75% of shoppers stopped to engage with the Safe Sampling; leading to a 9% immediate trial to purchase conversion.
- Average sales uplifts of 470% were achieved across the target stores, equating to sales uplifts of 57 units sold per store, per day.
- Sales uplifts as high as 1,729% were achieved in some stores which previously had a low Rate of Sale (eg: Upton Park Tesco).
LONG TERM SUSTAINED SALES RESULTS
- The average long term sustained increased Rate of Sale achieved in the sampling stores was 130% (from 10 units to 27 units).
- Peak long term rate of sales growth of 245% was achieved in some stores (eg: Stroud Green Tesco, from 10 to 34 units).
- Long term sustained material gain measured weeks after was as high as an extra 35 units sold p/store p/week (eg: Southwark).